Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Give'Em Jesus!

Have you ever driven past that stranger on the street, the one holding the sign asking for money or food, and wondered what happened once you passed them by? Well, I have and from the conversations taking place in my Sunday school class, I am not alone.

My heart is a giving heart. I want to meet the needs of others, but I must admit, my current working position has left me a bit tainted. I often question if they really need the assistance or not. Shame on me, right?! Is it my place to say if they need it or not or is it simply my duty to be the hands and feet of Jesus and help when asked (of course the second choice is the correct choice!)?

Wanting to help is not the problem, it is knowing how to best assist the people that are in need of the help that I struggle with. Is money the answer? Should I just go buy a hot meal and deliver to them? What else can be done to make a difference in the lives of God's children who He loves just as much as He loves me?! Well, my friends, it all became quite clear sitting in Sunday school two weeks ago as we were diving into our lesson. We can give them Jesus!

We may not have money to give (and to be honest, that may not be the solution to their problem), we may not even have the availability to run to McDonald's for a burger and fries, but we can give them the word of God and a prayer. We can plant the seed of salvation if they are not believers and for those who are, we can help them see the hope that lies ahead. Hearing the words from the Lord may be just what they are looking for!

This all sounds great--right?! Now, how do we put this plan to action?

Be proactive! Prepare yourself (and your vehicle) with tracts that are filled with the words that they need to hear! They are small and can fit in your glove compartment and can easily be handed through your car window. A guy in our class even mentioned having Bibles in the car that can be handed out easily.

Stop and say a prayer! Prayer can mean a world of difference in the life of another. I know as a woman we tend to be a little scared to stop, so this can be something that is done as we are passing by. I find myself praying that the Lord can send someone that is equipped to stop and assist in ways that I can't. I ask for peace for the individual and that somehow their needs may be met.

No one ever said that being a Christian would be easy, but God gives us strength. No one ever said that sharing the Gospel would be easy, but God will give us the words to be spoken. No one ever said that it would be easy to minister to others, but God grants the desire and provides a way.

I encourage you to pray for an opportunity to serve someone today. When God answers your prayer, act!

Food for thought:
"As every man has received a gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God." 1 Peter 4:10

Blessings,
Heather


No comments:

Post a Comment