Tuesday, September 30, 2014

When Life Gets A Little Messy

I am currently facilitating a women's Bible study called Beautiful Mess, which is a follow up to the (fantastic) movie "Mom's Night Out". This study is speaking to my heart and causing me to really dissect my actions and attitudes and make sure that they are pleasing to the Lord. The study is using the thing (people) that tends to get to me the most--my babies! How do they see their mama responding to life's crazy situations that turn my world (most of the time temporarily) upside-down?!

This week already (and it's only Tuesday! Yikes) I have had to look at myself and ask the question, "Is God pleased with my attitude today?" "Does he approve of the way I am CHOOSING to respond to this situation?" Let me be honest, I found that the answer was NO!

Last week we discovered that our responses and our attitudes are our choice. We can choose to respond (behave) differently. Does becoming angered and quick tongued get us anywhere or does it cause us to become ineffective for the Lord? When we allow the things of this world to influence our decision to respond negatively, we are giving Satan a foot-hold. WE are allowing him to keep us from doing good for the Lord. We can not (and will not) be used to bring glory to the Father as long as we are allowing Satan to take hold of our lives. *I am preaching to myself here!!

Does this mean that situations should be avoided all together? Not at all! Sometimes situations that arise need to be addressed in order for changes to be made. It is all in how they are handled that makes the difference. This is sometimes (more times than not) where I fail. Well thought out, planned out and prayed over responses should be formulated and taken to the appropriate people. If you have had a disagreement with your spouse, just after the "discussion"is probably is not the best time to try to come to resolve. It may be best to take 30 minutes, 2 hours or even a day to collect your thoughts. Sometimes our children can bring about "beautiful messes" that cause us to lose our cool. Should we blow off the handle, scream and yell to get their attention? That is probably not the most effective way to handle their tender hearts. After all, they may have simply been expanding their imagination, creating you a masterpiece or teaching their sibling how to do something "really awesome!" Take a moment, catch a breath and realize that these moments are fleeting and that they are flying by so quickly. There may come a day when you are begging for some noise in the house and you long for the mess to clean.

My attitude is my choice. My actions are my choice. Today, I am going to choose to be polite and respectful of others--until someone makes me mad (JUST KIDDING!). In Kindergarten we learned to play well with others and as an adult I am learning that MY attitude has a lot to do with that. People will not want to befriend or just be around me if my attitude stinks! We need people. We need relationships. Love those who are not lovable (let's face it, you aren't every day either) and be patient when life calls for it. Life is life. It brings ups and downs. We must learn to ride the ride with God's grace and do it with a smile on our face (even when we don't want to)!

When Satan tries to crowd your mind, just remember...
"Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me--practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you." 
Philippians 4:8-9

Blessings,
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment